Sunday, July 01, 2007

Jesus Interviews!

Hey, Ora? Has anyone ever told you you're God? :-P


Interview #1:

Exclusive Interview: Jesus Solorio, Top 16 Finalist on So You Think You Can Dance
For the latest So You Think You Can Dance news, subscribe to our RSS feed or email newsletter. Email this Article to a Friend


June 29, 2007

Had you asked a fan of So You Think You Can Dance on Monday who would be eliminated later in the week, the concesus choice likely would've been Cedric Gardner. Very few, if any, people would have guessed Jesus Solorio. Jesus had been a stand out performer over the first three weeks, receiving nary a critique from the judges. That is why, then, it was such a humongous surprise last night when Nigel Lythgoe, without giving much of an explanation, told Jesus he'd be going home. Jesus was nice enough to stop by earlier today and talk about his time on So You Think You Can Dance.

What made you initially want to try out for So You Think You Can Dance, were you a fan of the show beforehand?

Initially, I didn't watch the first season, the second season is what got me inspired, and I just said, “This is my chance to show my dancing, my ability, my blessing”, and I wanted to share it, and I wanted to inspire people and let them know no dream is to big to accomplish, to reach. That’s pretty much why I did it.


From your first audition on through Vegas, what was that experience, that journey like? Were you confident in your chances to make the top 20 that whole time?

Yeah, I thought I...I had a good feeling I would make it to top 20, and so that’s what got me hyped even more, cause I had a feeling, and I’m a hard worker, so I just worked hard the whole time and it paid off, it paid off.


What was your very first reaction when you got partnered with Sarah?

Well actually we, Sarah and I, talked about it before going, once we arrived at the airport we talked about it and said we would be partnering each other. And when we walked through the door, sure enough she was standing there. I was excited, I was excited because I knew what she could do.


Was it ever difficult, especially last week, dancing with her since she never really had done partnering stuff before?

No actually it wasn't, there was a couple moments that I had a hard time, but no, she got on it, and she worked hard, she just became a different person. So, yeah, it was easy after that.


Last night's show was a pretty wild show in general, why do you think you were eliminated last night?

Honestly, I have no idea. I thought I did everything that I could do that the choreographers asked, it just has to do with popularity from America, you know, your favorite dancer, obviously. So I don't know, I honestly don't know.


It has to be frustrating because you and Sarah had been given praise pretty much throughout the entire season. I don't think the judges said one negative thing about you until the moment before you were eliminated, so how frustrating is that?

It's frustrating because not even at the last moment did they say a negative thing, at the last minute they still said something positive, they said, “You didn't miss a step, you did everything right”. And, so that’s what kind of got me, I was like “Really? Why am I going home?”. But, it's all for a reason and it's all fun, it's all fun.


Do you wish you had something different with your solo routine?

Actually, I was very satisfied with my solo routine. I thought about doing something very technical. I think I can do whatever Danny and Neil did, I believe I can do myself, but I was going for something different and that I knew I could do, and I did do it, and I think I accomplished that.


Jesus, what have you got planned for the future for yourself?

Well I’m going to be moving back to LA. And, I’m going to try and work professionally again now that I’ve got my face out there. I’m hoping to get work and just work on my singing and my acting and well, go on from there.



That guy said "uh huh" and "mmhmm" way too much, and Sara's name doesn't have an 'h', but I forgive him. The audio is at this link: < h t t p : / / w w w . b u d d y t v . c o m / a r t i c l e s / s o - y o u - t h i n k - y o u - c a n - d a n c e / e x c l u s i v e - i n t e r v i e w - j e s u s - s o l o - 7 8 0 8 . a s p x >



Interview #2: (From Before Armageddon)

PRHS grad a reality hopeful
Modified: Friday, Jun 29th, 2007
BY: Anne Quinn 6-12-07


Paso Robles residents can join in on a local boy’s rise to stardom by voting for dancer Jesus “Chuy” Solorio on the FOX Network TV show, “So You Think You Can Dance,” on Wednesday night.

Produced by the same team as the hit show “American Idol,” which makes stars out of amateur singers, “So You Think You Can Dance” features dancers skilled in everything from street styles to ballroom that compete for votes from millions of viewers so they can be named America’s best dancer.

Producers of the show, now in its third season, conduct talent searches in major cities such as New York and Los Angeles, to select a pool of contenders. This list is narrowed down during “call back week,” when those that stand out are chosen to work with top choreographers, then asked to return and perform in Las Vegas. That’s when the judges narrow the pick from 50 down to the top 20, which includes 10 men and 10 women, and the network competition begins. Solorio made the cut. Now the pressure is truly on. Each week two contenders will be eliminated, based on how the audience votes.

If Solorio makes it to the top 10 (five men, five women) he will snag a contract to be in the So You Think You Can Dance performance company, with associated pay and benefits. If he wins, he can expect to take home $100,000 like last year’s winner, Benji Schwimmer, did. He also received a contract to appear on Celine Dion’s “A New Day” show at the Coliseum, Caesar’s Palace, Las Vegas.

One place the voting for Solorio is sure to be unanimous is at the Oak Park Recreation Program where Solorio grew up.

“He would have never danced had it not been for our program,” said Vicki Jeffcoach. “I am so tickled that he is living his dream.”

The story of Solorio’s pursuit of dance is much more complex, a tale of dedication in the face of adversity, that involves many Paso Roblans.

Solorio’s natural affinity for dance was encouraged at Oak Park, even while he was teased and ridiculed at home. Loving to dance was not considered masculine while Solorio was growing up in the late 1980s to early 1990s, particularly in Hispanic culture.

Leaders of the Oak Park Recreation program quickly spotted Solorio’s talent and did everything to encourage it. They kept him on course when he was tempted to abandon dancing for soccer because it was more socially acceptable.

Tiffany Jeffcoach taught Solorio all she could but his talent was such that he quickly outgrew what she had to offer and needed professional instruction. He wanted to go to Class Act Dance and Performing Arts Studio, the only trouble was he couldn’t afford it.

That’s when Grace Hill, a volunteer with the Oak Park program, stepped in. She paid Solorio’s tuition that first year, so he could have the opportunity. This year Hill was recognized as “Volunteer of the Year” for the city of Paso Robles, because she has done so much to help local young people like Solorio.

Solorio’s talent was obvious to the staff at Class Act Dance and he was given scholarships. Now he is one of their most celebrated alumni.

“I am beyond excited I am ecstatic for him,” said Class Act Dance instructor June Greenwalt. “There was a gift in him that was rare, it was just a matter of bringing it out in the right time and in the right place.”

Solorio was also the honored graduate for the Paso Robles High School visual and performing arts department this year, receiving special recognition during a board study session/awards night at the Culinary Arts Academy on May 15. As a professional dancer, He’s worked with musical artist LIANA, Circo Fantastico and is a performer on Disney’s “Hanna Montana.”

During the presentation on May 15 Solorio thanked the people in the Oak Park Recreation Program, his instructors at Class Act Dance, PRHS staff members and everyone in the community who’s supported his career.

“I’m proud to be a part of this community,” he told the crowd. “This is where I developed my strength, my mentality and my work ethic.”

Gratitude is characteristic of Solorio who Greenwalt described as “humble, kind, lovely, generous human being. He just feels his talent was God given and it’s up to him to share it.”

Just as Solorio’s talent grew beyond what Oak Park Recreation Program could offer him, enthusiasm for him has grown way beyond Paso Robles, infecting fans who have never met him in person.

“Jesus is one charismatic Latino that will make you smile while he’s dancing. His friendly aura will certainly get him a lot of votes,” reads an entry on the www.starmometer.com blog.

“So You Think You Can Dance” is scheduled for Wednesday, June 13 from 8 to 9:30 p.m. on FOX Network.




*depressed love*

~ Moosey ~

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeeeeeeeeeeah, this is completely random, but Neil did his solo to a song by this dude named [b]Ben Jelen[/b].

Ehehehee, funny.

Anonymous said...

Oops...the bold got all messed up.

Ah well.

Ben Jelen.

Funny.

And did anyone else here Cat totally flub her line when Sara was about to do her solo? She was like "Next on stage and dancing she deserves to...stay..." ahahah I played that back like 45 times and laughed every time.

:D

Moose said...

Hehe, Chicky, you're, like, the fourth person to point that out, but it's still awesome, so I'll let that slide ; ).

lol, I think she completely butchered another line that night, too, but I don't remember when... Maybe when talking to Lauren? I dunno.

Love!

Anonymous said...

:( I'm going to miss Jes`us, I was hoping he would be in the top 10!
Ben Jelen
lol !
Do any of you guys know the name of the song Benjelle danced to for their contemporary performance, please tell me if you guys know?!!

Anonymous said...

AAAAAAAH darn i thought I was the only one. Sorry, I haven't been on here in like 432949 years. =D

Yeah when she was talking to Jessi she screwed up like twice in a row bahaha it was hilarious.

And Donnyfan, go to the comments on the video and someone said the name of the song in there.

Unknown said...

the song is The Dumbing Down of Love by Frou Frou

onlyhuman13 said...

Awww Jesus... how I miss you. =(

Anonymous said...

so i just found out today that jaimie is really good friends with allison...i thought that was kinda funny because jaimie has always reminded me of allison--just not as cool! same hair.

Moose said...

She's good friends with Travis, too. In fact, she's #2 on his MySpace.

Anonymous said...

yeah lol i thought that was funny about travis also...a suprising amount of people from the show knew each other before hand...like i would think the dance world would be bigger than that.

Anonymous said...

so...lacey and kam are a couple...interesting..i think so...surprised it was the two of them...not really...like them...love them...ship them like benjelle...never.

Anonymous said...

scratch that...i now read they arent...i think nigel just wants ratings...i think its a conspirecy and he is behind it.

Anonymous said...

Bridgey, trust that Nigel is trying to recreate the enthrall of a make-believe couple for ratings. He practically married off Kameron and Lacey in what was supposed to be a critique of their dancing. Very poor taste, but it's all about the ratings for him.

Moose said...

stupid nigel

Anonymous said...

kameron and lacey are really a couple? woaaah. it kinda didnt look like lacey was really into kam as he was into her.. but what do i know, lol. (i still like dombra more XD)

season 3's benjelle? um at this point i think its dombra but we'll have to see this week? NO FLIPPEN NEXT WEEK. why wasnt there SYTYCD this week??? im so pissed. it was 8pm and i look and find that theres NO SYTYCD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

also jesus SO did not deserve to be booted off. i feel bad for him and jessi. my ideal people to get off last week would have so been Anya and Cedric, FOR SURE. screw the medical conditions.. jessi was the best.. she also danced well with pasha. and she wanted to dance too, according to the interviews, whether the doctors didnt want her to or not. and cedric... UGH. i dont really like underdogs... sometimes. well i just dont like him and at this point i'll never pick up the phone for him. jaimie is good.. hok too.. but i really dont like hok's crazy hair ^^; which is why i dont vote for them either. kinda shallow i know, but w/e.