Monday, August 20, 2007

Whoa...

Okay, I just found this old interview with Jesús... Apparently he worked with Dorianna Sanchez (Seriously??? Botox disco lady??) in the Circus?? COME AGAIN?? Whoa...


JESUS SOLORIO

JESUS SOLORIO, like so many other dancers in L.A., was a home town studio star who is now learning the hard realities of L.A. Correspondent Suzi Miller Fuentes first met him several years ago at Class Act Studios in Central Clifornia. Jesus settled in Hollywood two months ago.

Suzi: Tell us how you came to LA.

Jesus: I first came out here a year ago and while taking classes, I went to Janet Jackson�s audition just for the experience, and I made it to the second cut. But from that audition, I got called by an agency.

SMF: They saw you at the audition?

J: Yes, they gave me a card and asked me to call. But I didn't ....

SMF: Why on earth not?

J: I needed to find out some things first - I wasn't really ready yet. I went back home to Paso to figure it all out, and then I got a call from Doriana Sanchez who was putting together a circus.

SMF: How did you know Dori?

J: She came and taught a dance class at my home studio. This was years and years ago. and my teacher, June Greenwalt, mentioned me to her. So, she was putting together a Latino Cirque du Soleil and she thought I might be good for it because I'm Hispanic....not the circus itself, but a promo for it. That was a two day job, and the next day, I went to the formal audition for the actual circus. There were about 20 people - it was by invitation only. Then I got the call and she said I was in, I got the job!

SMF: How did you feel?

J: Very, very happy! It was called Circo Fantastico. Dori told DDO Agency about me and they came to the circus and signed me. This time, it was right. They started sending me out as soon as the circus ended.

SMF: What auditions did you do?

J: Men In Black, Disney Cruise Lines, Pepsi, Radio City Music Hall ...

SMF: How many auditions do you usually have? J. On a good month, maybe four a week, on a slow month, maybe one every two weeks.

SMF: How do you deal with it when you don't get the gig?

J: I just know it wasn't meant for me. I don�t put myself down or take it personally. I know there�s something out there that will be right for me, and I will shine in that.

SMF: How do you support yoursef in L.A.?

J: I work a regular job ushering at Mann�s Chinese Theater.

SMF: What an historically exciting place to work! How did you get the job?

J: After the circus ended, I moved into an apartment with my friends. I looked in the papers but didn't find anything. So I went out on my own to different theaters and stores asking to fill out applications. I just kept submitting applications for things I knew I could do well. Mann�s called back the same night I turned in the application. It was good timing.

SMF: How do you have time for auditions?

J: Right now, I work nights so it gives me free time in the day for auditions. It's hard though because requesting a schedule doesn't mean I'll get it.

SMF: What do you like about LA?

J: There are a lot of opportunities here. It's also that you're free; it's a big space and I feel free when I go out because I'm on my own. I walk down Hollywood Boulevard all by myself just thinking and feeling free.

SMF: What do you think are your advantages here?

J: Well, I can dance .... some people say I have a good look ... my sense of humor and hyper energy can be an advantage; sometimes people like to be around that. Hmmm. I'm nice, which can give people a good feeling, the feeling that I'll be a good person to work with. I'm very cooperative and I like giving energy out to others.

SMF: Your disadvantages?

J: I'm short. Usually choreographers want taller dancers.

SMF: Do you see any way your height could ever be an advantage for you?

J: Some singers are shorter, and my height could work for me in that situation. Having shorter dancers behind them makes them look taller. Also for commercial purposes I can read younger.

SMF: What are your goals?

J: I'm going for a lot of goals at one time and they all connect. Right now I'm considered a dancer, but I want to become a dancer/choreographer as well as an actor. Since I'm out here, I'm pursuing it all. I'm coming up with choreography ideas to try to put together a reel and I�m writing down all my ideas. I don�t want to sound full of myself, but I have a good feeling about jmy choreography because I�m blessed with a strong imagination. I�m also writing a script and sending it to a director I found in Backstage.

SMF: What advice would you give young readers who are thinking about coming out to L.A.?

J: Know that you have the strength to come out here and make it happen. Know that you�re ready to commit to your dreams. Know that you�re strong enough to be put down and not take it personally. Know you have the confidence and the ability to believe in yourself and what you�re doing. Just be smart. Also, it�s good to have an attitude where you know you�re good, but don�t let it look or feel cocky. Just know it and show it in your dancing. Try to develop an attitude of love. Show love in dance to let who you are shine through.

SMF: Any financial advice?

J: Learn to budget your money VERY well. You might find yourself at some point with a bunch of money because a job just paid, but don�t think, OK, I�ll pay rent and then go shopping...don�t think about the money you have left as spending money; spend it on food and resources you really need.

SMF: What about finding a living situation?

J: It's very expensive. In the paper there are always people looking for roommates, but I think the best thing to do is go to dance studios because there are always signs posted by dancers looking for roommates.

SMF: What did you do at your hometown studio to prepare for LA?

J: I thought a lot about how I would budget my money, and how I could prepare myself for this other world. I made a list for myself, it was Be Confident, Always Smile so your inside can shine through your outside, Budget your money, Get a job right away, Be prepared for put downs and rudeness, and just think and don't worry.



Muchos laughing love!

~ Moosey ~

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since none of the rest of my family cared, I have to tell you about the most wonderful dream I had. I was dancing the VFW with Benji, and Mia was choreographing it! Doesn't get much better than that! :)

Anonymous said...

i don't know.. i think my dream with benji was better =]

Anonymous said...

what was your dream?

Anonymous said...

oh me and benji made out... thats pretty much it. except for i was donyelle in my dream

Anonymous said...

dude this is lame.. WE NEED ANOTHER POST

Anonymous said...

an idea for a new post would be Benji's newest picture...

Anonymous said...

of him and lacey??

Anonymous said...

oh wow i did not want to see those bare cheeks. jeez benji why would you take your clothes off, go in a shower, and then take a picture of yourself

Anonymous said...

BORRINGG

Anonymous said...

wow i wrote that like a month ago....... sad sad sad